Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Don't buy DAP caulk!

It's like I live to torpedo any chance I may ever have of becoming a highly paid sellout blogger. I cuss a lot and post intermittently and rant against products I hate.

I'm caulking the door trim and I was overwhelmed by the irresistible urge to come tell you how awful DAP caulk is. You probably don't even realize it's awful because it's everywhere and it's often the only choice, but there are much better caulk products out there. I checked a bunch of places in Reno and got frustrated and bought like 5 tubes of DAP, then I found White Lightning at the Lowe's on Kietzke.

White Lightning makes a lot of good products. The Window and Door is probably good, the 3006 is good, and the Painter's Preferred is good. Sherwin Williams in Memphis had something else that was really good - I can't remember what it was called. SW's in Reno do not. Just fucking DAP.

Good caulk in a good caulk gun will not fall out of the crack you're caulking. It will not keep oozing out of the gun when you set it down. It's stiffer and not as slimy and it's much much easier to work with. Find better caulk and your life will be so much easier. I can't tell you how tempted I am to throw the last tube and a half away and go buy some damn White Lightning.

4 comments:

  1. When I built the chicken coop, board and batten style, I was happy to use up every last half-empty tube of caulk I had accumulated over the years. There were a number of ones I swore never to buy again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I thought the product continuing to ooze out of the gun was due to my ineptitude. Next time, I won't use DAP! Thanks for the heads-up.
    When I moved into my house 18 months ago, I had a lot of work done before the furniture arrived. One thing that didn't get done was replacing the baseboards after the new flooring was put in. I still haven't done it. After seeing what you've been accomplishing here (with Cersei's help - in the video, it looks like Cersei is the home inspector?), I am motivated to get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about taking on a few home improvement projects myself. I've noticed some caulking needs to be replaced in certain areas...your blog post today will send me straight out to check out the caulkings available to me. Hopefully it won't just be DAP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do Not Buy Dap Products...it turns yellow..I spent a week remodeling our basement shower, lots of hours, money and work. I bought the DAP 3.0 bathroom/plumbing white caulk lifetime warranty and caulked the inside and outside seams. It looked great when I finished. It's been used maybe 15 times...in 6 months it has all turned a yellow color...never been so disappiointed in a product. NEVER buy DAP caulk Period. I'll now spend days trying to clean it out and redo with anything but DAP......

    ReplyDelete