Friday, March 11, 2011

Fence rebuild

Yesterday the Leaning Fence of Pisa gave up the ghost and collapsed entirely.
IMG_2743

Very distressing! It's not like I wander around naked, and the neighbor's house doesn't even have windows on that side, but I like having a fence there, dammit. I priced out various configurations of new fence then headed to Lowe's today and bought replacement materials.

$194 got me a pile of boards and fasteners.
IMG_2750

Check out these clever things! (and yes, my house really is bright blue-y aqua.)
IMG_2751

They (theoretically) obviate the need to dig a 2' deep post hole. You dig a relatively shallow and wide hole, then bury the bottom half in concrete. The 4x4 post bolts in to the top half. I oriented the gizmos so that the top flanges face the wind - it should help this thing work better if it's going to work at all.
IMG_2755

My neighbor, on the lee of the fence, has WAY more land than I do. Unfair! The grooves in the concrete should hopefully channel rain/snow water away from the posts and help them last longer.

I'll water the ground around the brackets and leave them alone for at least three days. Hopefully the next post on the fence will be in the middle of next week and it'll show a finished fence - it's only about 20' to replace, so it won't take long.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, perfect timing! I have been procrastinating on a small fencing job here because it means trying to dig a new posthole in horrible clay ground. Thanks to you, I now know I don't have to dig as deep as I thought - I'm gonna go get me one of those "clever things" and a bag of rapid cement and be done with it! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! :)

    They cost $20 each here, so they're not exactly cheap, but definitely better than digging holes by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our next fencing project is replacing the nasty front chainlink fence with something much more attractive and horse-safe. Fortunately, we have a neighbor with a bobcat and an auger, so drilling the post holes shouldn't be too hard. But those things are AWESOME - too bad they're so expensive.

    ReplyDelete